November 12, 2010

Station Break

After a Saturday where I tried The Bruery's Autumn Maple (verdict: one of the better 'fall' beers that I've tried. Spicy, chewy, and crazy tasty good. Who knew that yams could add that much flavor?), I found myself in a bit of a funk this week and didn't replenish the Beer Fridge. This has led to a week of no beer (gasp!), which I find to be a good refresher every so often. It's not quite like the beered-out feeling one gets from a post-festival funk, but it's enough to get it out of the rotation for a week.

This weekend, I do intend to correct course. A trip to John's today to see what kind of newness they have there and I'll definitely get the Beer Fridge restocked. There's also the bottle of Black Butte XXI which is just now hitting the "best after" date that they have listed. I was thinking to save that one for Thanksgiving, but it might get cracked open this weekend if the mood strikes.

In a sidebar note, I know that Brewmasters is coming up on the Discovery Channel in a little over a week and I had a couple of friends ask me about it. Personally, I back Jeff's musings on the subject. I like Dogfish Head and some of their beer is very good, but this show worries me since the angle is less "Beer is awesome!" and more "DFH is awesome!" It's not that I don't get the reasons why the production went that route, it's just disappointing that all the clips I've seen either feel like Standard Manufactured Reality Drama or DFH giving themselves a tongue bath. It's what Ace of Cakes is to cooking - you're not getting technical details by any stretch of the imagination and it's all about the Owner Who Doesn't Play By The Rules and his Fun, Wacky Staff. There might be bits and pieces that I enjoy, sure. I just don't think that's enough to warrant weekly watching by any stretch. Your mileage, as always . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment