August 22, 2010

H.U.B. is the Life For Me.

I will cop to the fact that I've only been in Portland for three years. I will readily admit that I have no official beer credentials and come at my opinions simply from a "drinking buddy who likes beer" point of view. I am a simple voice among the many, many beer blogs that roll across the world. The following statement should be qualified with the above sentences.

All things considered - Hopworks is the best brewpub in Portland.

Again, I'm not a guy that gets samples from breweries. So when I say I love these guys, you know it's from a purely unsolicited point of view.




I've had pints pulled for me by the owner and brewer-in-charge of Hopworks, Christian Ettinger. I've had pints pulled for me by the newest hire at the brewpub. In both occasions, attention to detail and a desire to pour you the perfect pint was paramount. You are never short-poured at this place - period. I would even say that 90% of my growler fills are over the 2L line. They are also incredibly friendly with samples, so ask to try anything they have. The food ranges from average to very good and when you catch a good round of pizza that matches the beer, it's a thing of beauty. You're also drinking in a place that is about as eco-friendly as you can get, if that floats your boat.

The beer . . . I mean, what can you say? It's some of the best stuff produced in town. The one signature that I can count on is that all of their Imperials or Doubles have a measure of sweetness that I just can't get over - you expect a blast of booze with doubles and somehow they avoid it while making things tastier. The growler in the above photo is Velvet Underground, a beer that I've mentioned before. A doubled version of the Velvet ESB, this is just a boozy, malty monster that is well worth your cash.

In addition, I had some of the newly-tapped Galactic Imperial Red - a doubled, hoppier version of one of my personal favorites, Rise Up Red. While I hesitate to use the term "mulch heap" to describe a particular nose (negative imagery and all), this had an earthy, dankness to the smell that I really enjoyed. Not overpoweringly bitter, but with 100+ IBUs, this isn't a beer you would expect smoothness from - and yet, smooth it is.

Hopworks is running their BikeToBeerFest this weekend on Saturday - if you are in the area and rolling on two wheels, I highly recommend that you attend.

No comments:

Post a Comment