December 25, 2010

Merry Christmas!

I've finally hit a break in my schedule and here are the plans for the next few days:
  • Holiday party this evening in the neighborhood - this is usually the event that I pull out a fun bottle of beer that 1) I've never tried and 2) I've had on hold until this point on the calendar. Today's selection will be Pelican's 2008 Le Pelican Brun and I'm fairly confident some others will be brining other good things to try.
  • My wife and I are flying out tomorrow toward Coronado to see some of my family for a few days. There have been indications that several brewing visits are on the agenda - including a potential run to Pizza Port in Ocean Beach (Pizza Port has been taking home repeated GABF medals for small brewpubs over the last few years).
Santa greatly enjoyed the Bump In The Night (Full Sail) that I put out for him.


Part of the reason that some people are turned off by the flavor of Cascadian Dark Ales is the sharp contrast between the hoppy bite and the dark malt. It's something that appeals to me, I'll admit, but I can completely understand where the other side of the fence is coming from. Full Sail did a very, very good job at the blend of the two poles and the reception for this has been across-the-board positive. I still think the Widmer '10 was the best CDA I had this year, but this and Hop In The Dark (Deschutes) are both ones that you are recommended to try.

Hopefully Santa hooked you all with enjoyable beverages to sample this Holiday season. More as I'm travelling in Southern California next week.

2 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas! Pizza Port (I like the Carlsbad one the best) is always a great stop, as is AleSmith, Ballast Point, and Stone. Toronado is a great outpost for the San Francisco institution, and I've had to pick my husband up from O'Brien's in Mira Mesa plenty of times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember that the WBC 2010 winner for best small brewpub was in Nelson County, VA. You come back to this coast for a visit and I'll meet you there.

    ReplyDelete